WINTER CYCLING BASE LAYERS
In the depths of winter, the right base layer can simplify your cycling wardrobe and enable you to ride in colder temperatures. Naturally, an insulating next-to-skin layer goes a long way toward maintaining core temperature.
- Fiandre Thermal - Short Sleeve/Long Sleeve: With a wind-stopping front panel, this base layer is so versatile, we should have created a four-seasons category for it. In the dead of winter, another insulating, windproof layer is always welcome. The Fiandre thermal can also be of use under jerseys or skin suits at cyclocross races, spring training rides, or any other time when you need aerodynamics with a bit of warmth.
- Sottozero - Long Sleeve: Take the classic insulating and wicking properties of wool and combine it with synthetic materials. This deep-winter base layer offers insulation and breathability in a stretchy fabric. This is a substantially warmer layer, more than twice the grams of fabric per square meter of the Fiandre Thermal.
FALL & SPRING CYCLING BASE LAYERS
When the temperatures drop, your base layer options increase: long-sleeve vs. short-sleeve, Merino wool base layer vs. synthetic, or heavy vs. light. Take your riding intensity plans into account when picking a base layer, as the shoulder seasons can be a time for long, easy base rides or sweat-inducing intervals.
- Body Fit Pro - Short Sleeve/Long Sleeve: Ideal for early season intensity, this base layer’s synthetic ThermoDrytex material has 3D structure for better breathability. The ribbed fabric structure also serves to trap warm air by the skin for extra comfort if things cool off.
- Merino - Short Sleeve/Long Sleeve: Merino wool base layers with natural fibers dry quickly, regulate temperature, and offer just enough insulation when you need it.
- Midweight - Short Sleeve/Long Sleeve: Bridging the gap between summer and the cooler months with a lightly brushed interior, this synthetic fabric is what you need for a cool dawn ride.
- Thermodynamic Light - Sleeveless/Short Sleeve: an affordable all-rounder that regulates body temperature throughout a range of weather conditions.
SUMMER CYCLING BASE LAYERS
It might seem counterintuitive to wear more clothing in the heat, but summer base layers can aid in evaporative cooling. Some cyclists also prefe r the way a jersey fits and feels over a lightweight baselayer.
- 2nd Skin Mesh Base Layer - Sleeveless/Short Sleeve:
This unisex base layer is the lightest, stretchiest option in the Sportful line. For a mid-summer ride, this synthetic base layer is a perfect pairing with the Light Pro jersey. Opt for a sleeveless cut for the hottest conditions.
- Pro - Bra/Sleeveless/Short Sleeve: Structured for better breathability and fit, the Pro base layer features vertical 3D ribbing built into its lightweight synthetic fabric. Worn with a Bomber jersey, it can cut the chill on an Alpine descent or wick away sweat on a sunny climb.